Reports To: Friendship House board and program director
Salary Range: Hourly rate up to 30 hours per week at $15 – $25 per hour
Summary: The Facilities Manager is responsible for ensuring the safe, effective oversight and supervision of all aspects of maintenance at the Friendship House, located at 1029 N. Marshall St. in Milwaukee, as well as light maintenance at the Cathedral Center, located at 845 N. Van Buren Street in Milwaukee. Both facilities serve women and families who are homeless or experiencing a housing crises, via support services, emergency housing and transitional housing. Programming for both sites are facilitated by the Cathedral Center, Inc. The building located at 1029 N. Marshall St. is owned by the Friendship House.
Primary responsibilities include general maintenance and repairs (patching walls, minor painting, some grounds keeping, minor electrical or plumbing), determining need for and managing outside contractor services, as well as 24/7 availability and responsiveness during emergencies and urgent matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure the Friendship House and the Cathedral Center facilities are maintained in a safe and healthy manner. Duties relevant to both sites include, but are not limited to:
- Perform general maintenance and repairs as described above (this list is not exhaustive and intended only to offer a brief introduction to required tasks).
- Medium to heavy lifting is required (0-50 lbs.): Examples include, but are not limited to furniture assembly, carrying ladders or other tools, occasional snow removal or unloading deliveries.
- Some heavier custodial work may be required.
- Maintain consistent and effective communication of building and equipment needs to the Friendship House program director and board of directors, as well as the Cathedral Center Executive Director as appropriate.
- Actively participate in agency orientations and trainings and professional development opportunities as recommended.
- Actively participate in volunteer training and supervision
Duties specific to the Friendship House include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct physical building walk throughs at least twice monthly to assess building needs, address deficiencies and ensure preventative care of structure, mechanicals, furnishings and grounds – maintaining continuous effective operations of building and equipment.
- Collaboratively work with the Friendship House Program Director to manage and oversee monthly/annual inspections and services including but not limited to: pest control, fire inspection, electrical, plumbing, grounds keeping, security system, roof and more.
- Approve, manage and oversee services purchased from outside contractors and services providers, ensuring consistent and effective written documentation and files are kept.
- Timely response during emergencies and urgent matters – providing 24/7 on-call availability.
- Maintain and purchase cost – effective inventory of supplies and tools, within budgetary limits.
- Actively participate in the development and oversight of annual maintenance budget.
- Provide a written monthly report to the Friendship House board of directors and program director specific to property needs, problems resolved and future recommendations.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Required: At least 2 years of successful, relevant experience. Demonstrated effectiveness and skill with mechanicals and systems, ability to communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, program participants, board members and partners, ability to prioritize tasks, effective decision making, organization skills and works well independently. It is essential that the Facilities Manager understand and easily adhere to clear boundaries and policies specific to confidentiality.