Reports to: Director of Operations
Salary Range: $29,000-$32,000
Benefits: Health, dental and life insurance, 2 weeks paid vacation, retirement, paid holiday/sick leave, mileage reimbursement, supported training opportunities (internal/external).
The Administrative Assistant is a newly updated, full time position responsible for general administrative and HR support for the overall functioning of The Cathedral Center, Inc., receiving direction from the Director of Operations. This support includes basic bookkeeping, such as: Accounts payable/receivable, preparing monthly financial reports, assisting with annual report and audit, ensuring appropriate reporting to IRS and to government funders. Additional responsibilities include providing general support to the Management Team, assisting with facilities maintenance, maintaining filing systems, payroll support and communicating professionally and with empathy with guests and partners. The Administrative Assistant interacts daily with community partners, donors, volunteers, guests and staff. This job is fast-paced, and no two days are alike.
The following are key responsibilities of the Administrative Assistant, with additional duties that may be assigned to ensure effective teamwork within The Cathedral Center partnership:
- Facilitate and oversee accurate records of accounts payable and receivable.
- Ensure staff timesheets are complete and correct and submit to accountant biweekly.
- Maintain confidential filing system for administrative, programmatic and consumer information.
- Attend and take minutes for monthly Management Team meetings, bi-monthly All Staff meetings, and bi-monthly Board Meetings. Prepare board packets prior to Board Meetings. Responsible for taking minutes at other meetings as needed.
- Provide HR support for the Director of Operations: review resumes, maintain up to date personnel records for Milwaukee County, assist with hiring process (interviews, reference checks, on-boarding).
- Supervise and support Administrative Support Staff person and 10-15 Reception Volunteers.
- Provide reception area coverage, including receiving consumers, donors and volunteers in person and on the phone, with professionalism and a customer service approach.
- Assist with facilities maintenance: call service people for repairs, purchase supplies and follow up where necessary.
- Provide general development support by assisting with annual events and mailings. Collect and maintain up to date supporting documents to be submitted to funders.
- Maintain Cathedral Center room schedules and assist with providing tours and information to supporters.
- Be prepared to facilitate agency tours and be able to participate in presentations in the community.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate for the Administrative Assistant position must be able to prioritize: meeting urgent deadlines, keeping track of recurring funding due dates and focusing on long term goals for the agency, while remaining true to Cathedral Center’s mission to provide a safe environment for women and families, while working to end homelessness one life at a time. This candidate will have earned an Associate degree or higher in Accounting, Communications, Business Management, or similar area of study with at least 2 years of Social Services or HR background. Excellent written skills are required.
- Must communicate professionally and pleasantly via phone and in person.
- Must be competent in EXCEL, Word and other Microsoft office software.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced setting and work comfortably and effectively with the public and diverse, vulnerable populations in a respectful and dignified manner.
- It is essential that the Administrative Assistant demonstrate compassion while understanding and adhering to policies specific to clear boundaries and confidentiality.
This position is open to all qualified internal and external candidates. Internal candidates must have reached six months of continuous employment at the time of application. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) a plus. Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required to meet the needs of the agency. Candidates must be able to sit, stand, stoop and walk for extended periods of time, and be able to lift 15 pounds. All staff at The Cathedral Center are expected to work effectively both independently and in a team environment, and to become familiar with and utilize a trauma-informed approach.
Full disclosure of past residency at Cathedral Center is required before a candidate can be considered for this position. Candidates for all paid and volunteer positions at The Cathedral Center must have been separated from services here for at least one year. All candidates for paid and volunteer positions at The Cathedral Center must be willing to have a background check conducted.